Disability Awareness: Working with People with Disabilities
People with disabilities represent a significant and largely underutilized resource for businesses. Many disabled persons are underemployed or unemployed. As a result of advocates for diversity, as well as a shrinking labor pool, employers are taking a serious look at hiring and retaining people with disabilities. This two-day workshop will give supervisors, managers, and human resource consultants tools and tips for creating a diverse workplace.
What Will Students Learn?
- Prepare to welcome people with disabilities into your workplace
- Interact with people with disabilities
- Identify and overcome barriers in the workplace
- Use respectful, appropriate, acceptable language in any circumstance
- Understand what your company can do during hiring and interviewing
- Understand what job accommodation is and how it applies in your workplace
What Topics are Covered?
- Defining terms
- Misconceptions and realities
- Dissecting labels
- The cornerstones of diversity
- Encouraging diversity by hiring
- Using the STOP technique
- Communication essentials
- Communication styles and critical conversations
- How do we make it happen?
Take this Course